Friday, July 29, 2011

Racially Inappropriate Music

I mentioned in my first post that I like Hip Hop. And that's true. In fact, it is my music of choice. When I'm feeling particularly awesome, I like to blast my hip hop playlist in my iPod and dance around in my house. (I like to think that I look like Lil Mama dancing, but really I look more like... who is a really awkward white person trying to dance? Like them.) Not only do I like hip hop, I even enjoy some gangsta rap. I occasionally enjoy pretending to be a bit ghetto, and since I live in the frozen North there isn't really anyone to call me out on my B.S. Score!

But today, me, the hubs, and our friends were driving around town, and I thought to myself, "Self we need some music." Sadly, the stereo in our car does NOT work. Even sadder, the wiring behind the stereo is so screwed up, only a professional will be able to fix it. So our current sound system is my iPod plugged into small purple portable speakers. I love purple. Anywho, the first song that popped up on my iPod was Nelly's Grillz.

And my friend in the back goes, "Do you like Gangsta Rap?"
And I said, "Yes I do."
And he goes, "But your white..."
To which I replied, "Is that racial inappropriate for me to like Gangsta Rap? I also like Hip Hop." (But lets be honest, does Grillz count as Gangsta Rap? I'm not sure.)

Anywho, this got me thinking. What is white people music? I mean, clearly Country, but what else? So I googled 'White People Music", and one of the links I got was The Top 10 Rap Songs White People Love so of course I had to click on it. And I will now list all the songs on that list and tell you whether or not I actually like them.

#1: Positive K- I Got A Man... I've never actually heard this song, and I'm not going to start now! So there!
#2: Digital Underground- The Humpty Dance... I'm not sure I have heard this song. And I am too lazy to youtube it.
#3: Biz Markie- Just A Friend... Also, haven't heard this one. Though to be fair, it came out in 1989. The year I was born, and my parents weren't really into rap at the time. (They aren't really into rap now. In fact, my Dad only listens to Public Radio. Thank God I'm not THAT white.)
#4: Young MC- Bust A Move... Hey I know this one! Yay! But I wouldn't call this one of my favorite.
#5: Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock- It Takes Two... hahaha seriously, I have no idea what half these songs are!
#6: Naughty By Nature- Hip Hop Hooray... Yup! You guessed it! I have no idea WHAT that song is.
#7: Tag Team- Whoomp (There it is)... YAY! Another one I have heard of!!! And I admit, I do love it. It is super fun to sing along to. So sue me.
#8:Vanilla Ice- Ice Ice Baby... Its on my iPod. But I don't have all the lyrics memorized.
#9: House of Pain- Jump Around... Nope, don't know this one either.
#10: Sir Mix-a-lot- Baby Got Back... Yes this is on my iPod. Yes I LOVE dancing to this song. And yes, I do have the whole thing memorized. In fact, this is the ringtone for one of my dearest friends because every time I hear it, I think of her.

So, that's four songs I know. This list is stupid and outdated. Clearly the person who wrote this, has not talked to white people who were born in the late 80s and grew up in the 90s/early 2000s. Also, I learned that the googles fail when it comes to googling white people music. Clearly this topic requires more research. Maybe I'll take a poll. The Book of Face will not fail me! More on this subject later!

3 comments:

  1. Google did not fail, you just used the wrong search terms try "white supremacy music genre"
    It should give you quite a bit including a wiki article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, supremacy is not really a nice word anymore. It sends out bad vibes. However I am tempted to google it. I'm just afraid I'll get a whole bunch of skin head-esque kind of music, when all I really want is like the top 100 whitest songs of all time. Which I suspect may include some Jack Johnson... Banana pancakes anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, but that's the easiest way to look up music associated as "white." Of course, there is so much cross-over in the genres that to call one style of music "Black" or "White" doesn't really work. You can just as easily find an African American in a scream-metal or country band as you can find a Caucasian rapper.

    ReplyDelete